Tuesday 8 September 2009

Photographic embroidery increases number of inspo-cells










Suffering under lack creativity lately which has been leading to symptoms such as non-blogging, these images have healed me and induced my return to the incredible land of inspiration. I like people, art, artists, objects that don't take themselves seriously, yet aren't just blatantly comical.
These photographs from almost a century ago have been embroidered in way that has made the object into a beautiful artful caricatures by having its features highlighted and exaggerated by colourful thread.
For the last few weeks I have been in the process of scanning in photos from albums I inherited from my grandparents, who were born in 1910/1911 so they are secured digitally and be shared with other members of the family. By scanning each single page, I get to look at the single photograph more closely and can even zoom in on details that I have not noticed the many times I had flicked through. Maurizio Anseri's work has inspired me to not only value these insights but reinterpret them with my own media... I can see some cut&paste work happening with some colour input and fabric application...
... jeez, ... art sure is a matter of interpretation. I showed my housemate these images and his instantanious reaction was that that the faces had been deformed and looked like they were diseased with growths etc. Nothing in that disection had crossed my mind at all! But then he is an illustrator who love to draw skulls if that says anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment