Thursday 7 May 2009

Top of the Crop (so far)

My fellow blogger (Brighton Fresh) and former colleague Jon is doing some market research in form of "getting inside people's wardrobes", investigating into their favourite & most worn items of clothing. This resulted into me sitting in an ocean of favourite clothes, proving that I don't have "nothing to wear". It also clarified some personal fashion tendencies which is quite interesting as a part of the life-long quest of self-finding.


The Dresses


(I wear them a lot, no stressing about combining)


This perfect Summer dress (H&M), as mentioned in my previous post.


And now to be replaced by this one made by myself.




By 'People Tree', my Christmas dress. I like peacocks.



Vintage dress from NY (according to the label) and customised by myself.

Topshop. Don't own very much Topshop actually. This one looks fit for Summer with a b/w graphic-pattern skirt over the top and with a purple waist belt, matched with canary yellow wedges. Oh yeah, THE outfit for Sonar festival this year.




The Jean, Short and Skirt.


Acid wash Hooch very skinny jeans. Got them for free from work, were a sample.


Mango chino candy PINK shorts. So good and more versitile than you'd think.
The skirt made by me out of not even scrap fabric but those strips of samples you receive from fabric suppliers. Ugly on their own but work well mixed together.


The Coat.

Marc Jacobs. Usually completely unaffordable, it was a lucky find in a closing down shop in Nuremberg.




I appreciate the attention to detail in the sweet printed lining.
Don't have a fave summer jacket... yet!





The Tees.




Insight tee from Indonesia. A donkey wearing ray bans and a bow tie? Can it get any better? Oh yes it can- check out the allover print on the back!

Cheap Monday sale tee. Only had it in medium but loved the print (see below), so customised it with darts around the middle and on the sleeves.


What a print! Seriously.

Admittedly I copied this from a very stylish male friend. Ordered off durkl.com. I like purple and I like unicorns.






And the shoesies.



Office tan leather Granny booties worn a LOT, urban outfitters jelly pumps and purple glitter buckle conversy type sneakers from... coughcough... Primark... they get smelly but I had initially only bought them for a fancy dress ninties party (with high-waisted Diesel bleached&ripped denim hotpants, awful tie-dye leggings and a shoulder-padded red blazer, topped off with body-glitter everywhere) and ended wearing em loads! Might buy the leather version from Topshop or even Kurt Geiger (if the trend hasn't already passed).


Summary.



"Man wird alt wie 'ne Kuh und lernt immernoch dazu!" (- a German saying, badly translated as: you get as old as a cow and still learn more.)... as in I learned something about my own taste:


My graphic tees seem to incorporate animals (jewelry, too, I have a bird, emu and unicorn necklace), my dresses are printed with graphic patterns and seem to like quite a range of colour, not many of which are dark.

Some of the bits are customised/made by me and bound to be faves as they are made exactly how I want them to be. I like a bit of quirky detailing and cut.


A most worn cardigan, although not featured as it's in the wash and it looks ratty with holes and ladders, is a quite thin knitted anthracite slightly longer merino cardi - another H&M purchase I am sad to see die, and a pair of H&M simple skinny indigo jeans which are holding out well actually. I also should have added in stripey Jack Sparrow Cheap Monday skinnies, no clue where they are they're amazing.

Now I'm curious and want to peek into other people's wardobes! Hope Jon publishes something soon! :)

4 comments:

  1. i like this idea! i have no idea what i wear the most or love dearly. i'll have a gander later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not as hard as you think :)
    i recon in your top ten are your howies jeans and a wooly pulli for sure... but which one will you pick... .
    and that strapless greeny/floral top?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. barbour jacket
    gold casio
    minnie mouse jumper
    fjallraven jumper
    short denim shorts
    deck shoes / plimsoles!

    ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anja, This is a great idea which has kept my mind busy: "why do I wear what I wear?" and came to realize several habits: colors=all cold (I am a paleface); stripes for business (how dull? oh no, there are fantastic possibilities of stripes); home +weekend: romantic wide skirts (or jeans which are usually too warm in the tropics) and...I discovered that I favored a brand which despite mass fabrication is very thorough in details, concerning sewing and design = Esprit. Haha I dont know how to include a foto here, I mail it. Mom in the tropics

    ReplyDelete